View Single Post
Old 12-09-15, 05:50 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 2,136 Times in 558 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
In B&N looking for a new volume, I picked up a copy of ROAD TO VALOR, about Gino Bartali and his life and what he did during World War Two.
Surprisingly good! Well written and a great story. I knew who Bartali was, but just barely. I had no idea he was a bit of a hero during the war!
Great reading.
Bumping this thread to add a +1 to ROAD TO VALOR by Ali and Andres McConnor, which I, too, very much enjoyed. I knew very little about Gino Bartali before picking up this well-researched and engaging book, and came away with a great amount of admiration for the man and others of his era. I learned a lot about not only bike racing during the 30s and 40s, but also the war experience of Italian Jews; Italian politics leading up to, during and following WWII; and the role of sport in politics during this period in history.

Next up, The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien. I'll report back...