Old 12-12-15, 07:39 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Poll: How many people treat a steel frame with Framesaver or equiv.?

All,

In a moment of weakness aided by Surly's ongoing sale on this year's now apparently outdated fleet, I am now the owner of a Surly Pugsley. The original, hideous, hacked-together expedition fatbike. Fun!

I got this bike for two places: The beach and the snow. Both of which, in New England, mean a lot of salt and corrosion. I am considering a framesaver treatment for my frame, but I have a couple of questions:

1. How difficult/long is the Framesaver process? What if I do a halfway job, like a quick hit in the BB shell and the head/seat tubes plus wherever I can get the spray nozzle in? I don't really want to tape everything off and roll oil around inside the frame to evenly coat everything. I don't see the need to Mona Lisa the project, but you could convince me otherwise.

2. Do I need to let it dry unbuilt, or can I hit the bike with the FS and then finish building?

3. Is framesaver a paranoia? Will my frame develop a nice inner patina and cease rusting? Is surly's ED Treatment enough? Will I lose the bike in five years to rust-aided cracks if I don't treat it and use it in the slush? I have no interest in riding it through the ocean tide, and my maintenance on all components is regular and responsible.