Old 12-13-15, 09:18 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Keep my hybrid, or move on to a road bike?

Have been riding my hybrid(s) for quite awhile now, with my latest, a Roam 2, about 6 months. I was riding almost every day, averaging about 30 to 50 miles a day there through the spring, summer and fall. Now, because of a career change, I'm down to about once or twice a week at 20 to 30 miles each ride. I also have an average speed of about 13.5. Although I enjoy not getting in a big hurry, and concentrate more on distance than average speed, I have been thinking about buying a road bike (Giant Defy 2 Disc) to get my average speed up. That, and I'm really wanting something lighter and more sleek.

My thoughts are... at 53, is my hybrid with a bit more of an upright position, better on the old back and shoulders than a road bike? Also, I ride almost exclusively on green-ways (MUP's) where there are wooden bridges, rough asphalt, etc.. that are better suited for my Roam 2 and the stability it provides. But I really want to experience a road bike.

Should I change? If so, is the Defy 2 Disc a good choice, or are there others you would suggest I give consideration?