Old 12-13-15, 01:18 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I'm with the camp that my primary bike pre-dates all the modern frame savers by at least a decade or two. I do have rust on the outside, and I suppose also a layer of rust on the inside, but most of it is superficial, I think.

Here, we have no road salt, and it is not a marine environment, although we do get some winter moisture.

I probably won't start using the frame savers or internal treatments, although I might consider it if I was in a more salty environment.

I would consider something like WD-40 as great for a short-term treatment, but I would have to doubt its effectiveness for long-term treatment of years or decades.

My new "rain bike" is Titanium.
The planned itinerary for my bike is ocean beaches, rain, snow, slush, road salt, and mud. I think I'd better do something.

The only thing stopping me is wondering if Surly's ED coating does enough of a good job to not warrant framesaver.
Surly says "use frame saver" but I suspect that's a legal thing, since any rust on a missed spot or something would make them liable for a "truth in advertising" claim.