Old 12-19-15, 05:31 AM
erig007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fthomas
I purposely chose platform pedals to allow me to just wear what I happen to have on for the day. I ride for pleasure, but my bike also supplements public transportation (OCTA buses are unreliable and terribly slow). Right after purchasing the bike to get started I bought some mountain bike shorts and a couple of Performance jerseys on sale. The shorts are comfortable and work well, but in warmer weather the jerseys quickly start to smell after a 20 mile ride.

The weather here in Southern California is certainly not as cold as what many of you face, but it does get "Cool". Tomorrow will be a high of 60 with rain. I am well outfitted to handle the rain - rain jacket, goretex hood for rain that goes under your helmet, windstopper beanie, goretex pants and goretex hiking shoes. I'm waiting for delivery of leg warmers, arm warmers and warmer waterproof gloves. I also use the rain jacket as a windbreaker by opening the pit zips to keep from overheating.

If at all possible I just as soon ride in street clothes, which consist of hiking pants, which are a nylon blend, or jeans. Cotton is the pits. It soaks up perspiration like a sponge and you end up soaking wet and easily chilled.

Do any of you ride primarily in street clothes? How do you handle the cooler temperatures not wearing lycra / specialty cycling gear. Before moving overseas three years ago I had a nice wardrobe of bibs, tights, jerseys - long and short sleeve, rain gear, etc. I gave it all away before moving.

Ultimately, I want to make jumping on the bike as uncomplicated as possible. There has to be normal clothing that can be re-purposed for cycling like light weight wool sweaters for the cooler temps or other shirts, etc. Any suggestions?
You're pretty much describing me only that i don't live in socal and don't wear jeans

At 60F for me it's shorts and merino t-shirts, too warm for anything else.

Nylon blend hiking pants for me too but not above 50F. At least 5% lycra in them.
For normal looking pants with enough spandex check outlier or mec

For the top you could wear button down merino shirts. Wool & prince, icebreaker, outlier, ninox, libertad apparel, pendleton, Ibex....
I've noticed that my button down shirts are way more odor resistant than my other merino top, probably due to the way those shirts are made. My icebreaker button down shirts are better for warm weather while my pendleton one are better for below freezing. The button down shirts that i have also offer some wind protection by themselves.

Last edited by erig007; 12-19-15 at 06:01 AM.