Old 12-19-15, 06:29 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by ErichVonCartman
The way I see it, hobbies are suppose to cost you money, and you should spend as much as you can on your hobbies.

I just got back into bicycles this year after a 12 year break.... And I spent about $15k this year alone on all stuff bicycle related! 3 bikes + accessories + tools + clothing.

Got some good bonuses, and instead of upgrading a house (that does not need it), or putting it down on a fancy sports car, I bought bikes and bike stuff instead.

Best $15k I ever spent! The bikes I own now are my dream bikes and I am very satisfied with how they are all configured. I do not have the urge to upgrade them for better.
I totally hear you on justifying spending money on bikes in lieu of spending that same money on other unnecessary things. I was lucky enough that I managed to not spend real money on necessary stuff (a second car) thanks to riding my bike to work for a number of years. If you added up depreciation on a new car plus gas, insurance, etc. over the 6 year period that I almost exclusively biked to work and got by with one car for my wife and I, I am sure I still came out ahead money wise even with quite a few bikes purchased and a whole lot of accessories.

But I did have to chuckle at your last line. I mean, you just bought three bikes this year for what sounds like at least a few grand a piece. Did you really need to point out that you don't have the urge to upgrade yet?