Old 12-20-15, 11:23 AM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I guess I'm curious with all of the above, what the point of installing flat bars was then?
You raise a good point. I still have the original bars from the Turino Team (which came with mech/hydro brifters) and could have picked up a great set of mechanical disc calipers with Tiagra brifters (the wheelset choice has to be factored in, so no 11spd). But the build would have been very close to what I did with the Litespeed. (See my posts regarding the raison d'etre of this build.)

Now (pausing to reflect).... somewhere down the line... the mech/hydro brifters (who knows? maybe DiX) will either come down in price or become more generally available "used". That would be great because I don't object to drop bars and am very comfortable with them. I appreciate the accuracy of your analysis and can only tell you that time will tell.

Over the years, I have owned a flat bar bike or two and can attest to the fact that you can get Great exercise on them. I think comfort is improved on longer errands with gloves and though I'd never owned a pair of bar ends, I like the Specialized P2 Overendz because I can shift around on them (like I can on the "hoods") to relieve pressure on my hands. I can also yank pretty hard on them to brace when climbing. They're a versatile addition whose weight is somewhat offset by the carbon bar.

Overall, the build is more "SUV" than "sports sedan". I'm okay with that and the flat bars do keep me more upright which is appropriate for our crowded city streets.