queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by TrackMonkey7

I decided to play this race more cautiously; I figured that the faster guys would do something about that tactic if I played it again. At the start I noticed three young riders all talking. It soon became obvious that they're working together. After some time sitting in, I decide to make a break for the line to grab some points. I come up track and the rider sitting third hears me coming and tells second and first that I'm coming over top. They kick, and start to come out of the sprinter's lane. Not cool. "Hold your line!" I yell, as third nearly makes contact (likely in an effort to dissuade me from attacking). "I'm trying!" he yells. Sure.
This happens at 3:50...

A couple points:
Collusion with other riders is, technically speaking, against the rules. I say technically speaking because there is no way NOT to collude with others in bike racing - a breakaway with more than one rider is, technically speaking, collusion.

That third rider coming out of the sprinter's lane - that is an acceptable move from him. Obviously, especially for lower-category riders, we don't want people making surprise moves or moves into other riders, and we frown on body contact; it is absolutely his responsibility to shouldercheck and know who is around him and how much he can move.

However, he is not committed to the sprinter's lane - rather, if he wants to come forward and try to get points (even if he can't), he's obligated to come out of the lane. Unless your handlebars are in front of his, he CAN move laterally over and you're forced to cede that ground; if your bars were in front of his, he would be boxed in and you'd own that ground.

He definitely flicks further up to the stayer's line than I think is appropriate - a common error for beginners at speed on track bikes.

I hope that's helpful commentary!

Last edited by queerpunk; 12-21-15 at 11:57 AM.