View Single Post
Old 11-22-05, 07:31 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Riles
Strange thing is when I get on the Bike, the chain get's jammed between the FD and the outer ring and doesn't shift up to the outer ring.. !!?

I cannot think of a reason why this only happens when I am on the Bike and not when I am shifting when the Bike is off the floor ?

What is the normal solution for the chain getting stuck between FD and the outer ring when shifting up ? shud I try moving the chain ring up a little higher than 1mm above the ring teeth ?
What do you mean the chain gets stuck between the FD & big-ring? The outer-cage doesn't touch the chain on that shift, so I wouldn't worry about raising the FD, it will slow down the shifting. Couple suggestions:

1. look at the front tip of the inner-cage. Depending upon the age/generation of the FD, it should have a bent-out tip. Shimano FDs have a molded bump on the inner-cage; this part pushes the chain up onto the big-ring. If your FD doesn't have that bump on the inner-cage at the tip, and it's parallel to the outer-cage, bend the tip to the outside yourself with some pliers. About 3-4mm should do. This speeds up the shift from the small/middle-ring up to the big-ring significantly.

2. Fixer's suggestion is good. The Park site tends to set up the FD's outer-limit screw a little tight so that you have minimal rub in the low-gears, but it may not move the FD out far enough for a quick shift. Unscrew the outer limit-screw about 1/2 to 1 full turn, no need to adjust cable-tension. Just be careful that the rear of the outer-cage doesn't run into the crank-arm.

3. shift deliberately. If you've got the outer limit-screw set properly, just crank on the lever intentionally all the way to max. Hold finger there until chain finishes shift. If you've unwound the outer-limit screw a little, you may find that you need to trim the FD back in a tiny bit after the shift.

4. when you shift, lighten up on the pedals so that there's no tension on the chain. Kinda like coasting and soft-pedaling. Your feet should be running slower than the road-speed so that you're barely pushing on the pedals at all.

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 11-22-05 at 09:03 PM.