View Single Post
Old 12-22-15, 09:02 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TrackMonkey7
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWrPBirVplg[/vi deo]

I decided to play this race more cautiously; I figured that the faster guys would do something about that tactic if I played it again. At the start I noticed three young riders all talking. It soon became obvious that they're working together. After some time sitting in, I decide to make a break for the line to grab some points. I come up track and the rider sitting third hears me coming and tells second and first that I'm coming over top. They kick, and start to come out of the sprinter's lane. Not cool. "Hold your line!" I yell, as third nearly makes contact (likely in an effort to dissuade me from attacking). "I'm trying!" he yells. Sure.
I saw nothing wrong with any of that race. Pretty tame. The only person obligated to the sprinters lane is the lead rider if he's there when the sprint starts; the rest can use the rest of the track. Nothing about what happened in that race was abrupt, and the guy who bumped you was obligated to go up track because he was overlapped with the guy ahead of him and that guy starting going up track. He was "trying to keep his line" but the guy ahead of him forced him up. It happens. If you are fourth wheel coming up to contest a sprint in turn 4, expect to be at least 4 wide coming across the line.

And nothing wrong with yelling "up" when a rider attacks. Time honored cycling tradition. Collusion is more about using a team to stack 5 wide while another teammate takes a lap (blatant blocking), or dropping a guy off the back of the group to join up with a guy off the front to help him finish taking the lap (taking assistance from a lapped rider).
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 12-22-15 at 09:11 PM.