Old 12-22-15, 10:02 PM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I've been so close over the past year with pulling a trigger on BD Ti bike but kept having that little voice in the back of my head stopping me. Partly due to documented issues with their bikes as you dig around the internet. Still, I was very close to doing it. They Lynskey had their sale and I was able to get a Ti bike with a geometry (sportive) that I wanted for comfort instead of settling for a BD solution. And with a full Ultegra setup it was not thousands more than a BD but a thousand more. Since this purchase for me was more about getting something even more comfortable than my steel LeMonds I was happy to get the type frame I needed. Relaxed angles, tall head tube, longer chain stays, curved seat stays, room for 28mm tires, etc.
I have two BD bikes, two Specialized bikes, and a Trek. The BD bikes are very comparable. No quality issues at all IMHO. The Ti I bought is actually a Cyclocross bike, that I put road tires on. It "rides like butter" (a friends words that I let ride it for a couple weeks). It (size 56cm) was 21-22 pounds as a cross bike out of the box. So being a cross bike configuration (i.e. heavier wheels, disc brakes, and 35 tires IIRC) certainly added weight, but the frame may have been a bit heavier too. I'm no weight weenie, so I'm very happy with the weight. I was going for the ride, and that is exactly what I got.