View Single Post
Old 12-23-15, 04:08 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I am feeling less like a hoarder now

I have to admit that when looking around my garage, I was beginning to get a sense that I may be in the early stages of hoarding. I began years ago by keeping the first road bikes that we bought through multiple moves. Then we settled down and built a garage and that changed everything. At first it meant that I could take the bikes out of the basement, and made it easier to take them out and ride plus I had lots of room.

Then one day I drove past a yard sale that had a nice Raleigh MTB for $15. I bought it and several others in various states of need over the next few years (all cheap). Then I got tired of mountain bikes and sold all but two of them, so I started buying road bikes. They were lighter and a better ride on pavement, so I ended up owning 12 of them. I am down to 5 now and hoping to shed at least 2 of them.

Then I discovered hybrids, so I bought 2 of those, and I still have them.

Then at an auction I bought a dilapidated department store brand 3 speed with a Sturmey Archer hub. I sold that, but now I have 9 others - 8 Raleighs and 1 Huffy. I also have 2 Raleigh frames hanging in the ceiling joists.

So today I was looking at a Shogun road frame that was ready to build up and I realized that I was never going to finish the project. I took the frame to my LBS and gave it to the mechanic I deal with most often. This was a frame that i really wanted to build a couple of years ago, but times have changed.

When I can get rid of about 4 or 5 of the 3 speeds, I'll feel better.