View Single Post
Old 12-23-15, 05:49 PM
psy

Bikes: Salsa Fargo commuter,Litespeed Ocoee titanium mountain bike cannondale caad9 105 road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I agree on the patches, but on the first aid, most first aid kits people carry are pretty worthless. Also folks typically think nothing of going for a 50 ride near home without a first aid kit. I carry a few ounces of first aid stuff, but truth be told could get by almost as well with improvised stuff. For most wounds of any severity a clean tee shirt or sock and the duct tape you wrapped around your water bottle will likely work better than what is in the average first aid kit, which typically isn't much use on any but the most minor injuries. The only things in my first aid kit that I'd feel bad about leaving behind are benadryl, steri-strips, and CA glue.
Just because a lot of people carry first aid that isn't that helpful isn't a reason not to bring stuff that is. It's a pretty simple thing to put one together yourself that weighs next to nothing and has relevant items you're likely to need if you take a spill or cut yourself or something. Sure I could improvise, and I do, duct tape and crazy glue work wonders, but Cutting up a 50 dollar shirt isn't part of My first aid go to plan. Obviously the further you get from help the more important and more extensive the kit should become. A little gauze, a couple sheets of tagaderm and a few band aids area easy enough to carry and make dealing with cuts or road rash(the two most likely injuries to carry stuff to deal with ime) a lot easier and more COMFORTABLE.
funny I keep feeling the need to use that word when discussing UL.