Old 12-23-15, 09:39 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
Are cyclists really shouting about those bike lanes? This thread seems to end quietly with opinions that a DZBL usually works pretty good.

http://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-s...good-idea.html

I know that in my city, while a car door may enter the lane some, it won't swing all the way across so you have to swerve into traffic.
Lin my area we have class 1 bike lanes, separated from cars in that there is no motorized traffic. Our city engineer says that type costs more than $1,000,000.00 a mile. I don't know for a fact that is true. Class 2 is a painted bike lane for use by bicycles only. They are marked as bike lanes and only emergency parking is allowed. We are told they are $500,000.00 a mile. Cost I am not sure but I was hit by a short stopping car and because it was posted as a bike lane the car was at fault. Class 3 is a whole different animal. They are wide enough for cars to park in leaving 4 to 6 feet marked off from the traffic lane. Bikes and pedestrians can share that 4 to 6 feet. We call those DZBLs. Most open car doors will force you out into traffic. I have been told a Corvette has a door that takes up six feet so I am very cautious passing Corvetts.