View Single Post
Old 12-24-15, 12:11 PM
vangoes

Bikes: Ridley Fenix AL2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I haven't read all the comments to this point, but the OP's question reminds me of a recent situation that happened to me and my thoughts on it.

I was at my brother's house for a party and I showed him a picture of a 70's bike I had refurbished. Then he mentioned his bike and asked if I'd like to see it. I said sure and he took me to his garage and showed me his all carbon Trek Madone. Now most of you know that name and model and are aware that it is a very expensive bike, I'm not sure what he paid for it, but they can cost over $10,000 (my brother is a doctor and can well afford whatever kind of bike he wants). Well, at the time, I did not recognize the name and had no idea of its cost. It was very nice, light weight and had very attractive lines to it. I commented that the lines were extremely similar to my $700.00 aluminum Ridely Fenix (and they are), and I said so. He was very gracious and did not mention that his bike could have cost 10x what I paid for mine. I looked up his bike later and discovered that fact. Then I got to wondering, other than a few thousand in higher end components and the added cost of carbon components, what could possibly be different enough to warrant a $10,000 or more price tag? I'm proud that my brother has prospered enough and has the wherewithal to afford such a bike, but how could it be 10x better than my Ridley, which I consider to be a truly fine road bike? As I said, he was gracious about my comment, if I had known the possible cost difference at the time, I never would have pointed out the similarities in shape to my much cheaper bike, but yet, I can see them. I think he did what the man in the article did and bought his dream bike knowing he would not have to blame the bike as a cause for any difficulties encountered in his riding and that an upgrade will not be necessary for a very long time. Whereas me, with my Ridley, well they make them in Carbon too!