View Single Post
Old 12-28-15, 08:33 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
SNIP

Yeah, Coggan's original presentation used the former formulation to explain the underlying logic. When he explains using the computationally simpler version, people question the IF^2 term. When he explains using the longer heuristic, people point out the IF^2 form.
Well, that is interesting. When I first encountered these equations it occurred to me "what is this - it is like someone is trying to hide what this really is". Guess I was (kind of) right.

Fascinating and it reminds of something that I did back in my engineering days. I was dealing with electronic circuit delays and we had good data on nominal performance, but the worst case performance was nebulous (and my problem). So for each circuit configuration I had to come up with a 'worst case factor' which you multiplied against the nominal performance to get worst case performance. Do to various correlation things, one factor came out to pretty much EXACTLY 1.0. If I published (to the engineers in our company) a factor of 1.0, I would have spent the rest of my life explaining to every damn one of them why worst case was not worse than nominal. So I just fudged it and published 1.05 and never got a 'call back'.

Thanks for the info.

dave