View Single Post
Old 12-29-15, 10:35 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Liked 1,216 Times in 616 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffpoulin
I have a 2008 7.7FX with just over 22k miles on it. However, except for the frame, it's hardly the same bike anymore. Over the years, I've replaced the wheels, cassette (several), chain (several), crankset, pedals, saddle, seatpost, handlebars, stem, brakes, brake levers, rear derailleur, shifters, tires (many!), and grips/bar ends. TBH, when I bought it, I thought the frame was rather ugly, but I've learned to appreciate it. It has room for 700x42 tires, is light, and very comfortable. It's my main commuter. Brand new, it weighed 22lbs. With all of my modifications, it now weighs 24lbs.

I recently saw a new 7.7FX locked to the bike rack at work and noticed the frame is now all carbon with much less tire clearance (I'm guessing up to 700x32). It looks nice, but it's not as practical for commuting, IMO.
Correct. The earlier 7.9 such as Fubar168's above was a carbon version of the "FX", e.g. your 7.7FX. The more recent 7.7s and 7.9s (last three years or so) are simply unaltered carbon Madone or (now) Domane frames with flat bars. Tire clearance is probably 28 at most.
Specialized did this for a while as well with the Sirrus: re-badging Roubaix frames and slapping flat bars on them.