dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyMo
I am a rider assist Marshal in the 5BBT and can offer some advice, as follows:

1. Buy your entry immediately after they go on sale (Jan 12th, 2016). Even though there are 32,000 tickets, it sells out really quickly - a few days at most.
2. You must pick up your rider packet at the Bike Expo in NYC on April 29th or 30th. Make sure you're in town for this.
3. Read the instructions and pay attention - they are important: Rider Information | Bike New York
4. Not sure why you want a mountain bike instead of a road bike; but that's your choice. I will be wearing SPDs with my road bike. Maybe think about changing your pedals.
5. Wearing cleats? Be prepared to go down. There isa lot of quick starting & stopping. There are 32,000 riders - thousands and thousands of them are novices. I spend a lot of time bandaging up people; many of them experienced riders who are 'bumped' by the less experienced. That being said, I wear SPDs, even though other marshals think that's nuts.
6. Pay attention to the bag restrictions. While handlebar bags are allowed, they must be no larger than 420 cubic inches. (That is 8"x8"x6" and is a pretty small bag.) Suggest not being close to the size restrictions. Open baskets of any size are allowed if you want to bring stuff.
7. Learn how to get to your starting point the day before. The hotel on Stone Street is a good idea. But you may need to ride up the east or west side some fifteen blocks or so to get to your start point. Your color bib will dictate which point you start at. If you are planning on riding with friends, make sure to set up a team so you can start together.
8. Starting after the beginning; finishing before the end, cutting in line at the ferry, and similar 'advice' expressed in this forum is for bike snobs. If these sound like good ideas, why bother even riding? The event is great fun, benefits charity, and worth experiencing every minute.
9. Don't rush to get in line at the ferry if you don't like standing around a few more hours. Best to enjoy the finish line party; go to one of the great many bars & restaurants in Staten Island for dinner & drinks; or go to the Flagship Brewery. Any any one of these, you will be partying with fellow riders and celebrating your day.
10. Bring spare tube(s) and patch kits.
11. Have fun & enjoy it. Its one of the biggest and most popular cycling events in the world. You won't be disappointed.
I'll enter on the 12th, no question. And I understand that you need to pick up your rider packet the day before.

I'm riding a mountain bike because it's a fairly short and slow speed ride. Given the number or riders, my road bike would be frustrating, honestly. But I may replace the SPD pedals with some flat pedals. I see your point about being jostled around a bit.

I will carry a handlebar bag, and it will meet size restrictions. I want to carry a lock and camera, and it's the one practical solution.

Thanks for the info! I'm sure it will be a great ride!