Old 01-03-16, 10:12 AM
NoPhart

Bikes: As my watts decline, I’m amping up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
(REVIVED OLD THREAD THAT NEEDS MORE INPUT FROM REAL WORLD USERS)

I'll try to contribute here for a 36V 350W BaFang mid-drive set to 28+ mph assist with throttle on a 650B MTB with 12-32 rear cassette and 46T front sprocket, 2.1 MTB tires 40-65lb. and 36V 10.6A battery. Also, I'm 225lbs. and the bike weighs in at 47.5lbs. currently. It's probably safe to say that the total weight being pushed is 275-290lbs.

I have complete confidence in planning 20 mile trips using maximum power assist with occasional throttle use on hills that slow my cadence too much for comfort. That is MY real world expectations at full power and it gives me power for the whole trip; meaning there's power left when it's over and I don't run out.

Only one test at level 3 of 5 has been done so far. I easily rode 24 miles and had 3 bars left of 6 on the charge display, but when riding it only showed one or two bars depending on the load it was under. My guess is the display is a live read on power supplied at that level and what is left if you want that level of assist all the way to complete drain. By that I mean, it will probably go further, but the assistance being provided will slowly decrease until it has no juice left.

The one time I ran it to empty, it started cutting out at lower and lower mph assistance points; up to 20mph, then 15mph, then 10mph and so forth until the display screen went blank. The display started blinking as a low battery warning when it got low.

My ride calculates out to ~381Wh. Using the conventional method of dividing that by 20 you get ~19 miles range estimated actual use. This simple calculation is pretty accurate in my case for full power use and likely is about right for throttle only use, but that is just a guess on my part (not tested yet - throttle only is rather boring IMHO).

For camparison the bike was advertised at 400Wh and 35+ range. I feel this is basically accurate for level 2-3 of 5 (or 50% power) with just moving your legs for pdeal assistance without much effort.

The only bike I have read about that seems to be very accurate is the super high-end bike that has done so well in the Pikes Peak runs. They advertise 40-80 miles range and tests I've read say real world is 46 miles range. Most eBike advertised ranges are close to half what is stated or slightly more (that's a generalization).

As most everyone knows there are lots of variables to consider when stating range and they are different for every bike and rider.

Last edited by NoPhart; 01-15-16 at 06:54 AM. Reason: corrections