View Single Post
Old 01-03-16, 06:05 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8439 Post(s)
Liked 9,383 Times in 4,611 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Wait, you're going to tell me that's it's just as inexpensive to work on, meaning hours spent doing the same thing, say for example the time it takes to remove a heater core from a 40 year old car vs a new car today, is the same price and just as much effort? Answer that question then I'll reply with more on what you said in your above statement and why you're not being completely honest in that statement.
I'm not sure I understand your question or your point. As to the labor time to replace a heater core, it depends on the car. If you're saying that heater cores are generally more time consuming to replace these days, you might be right, but some of the older cars were a real bear, too.
If you're saying that the manufacturers intentionally make heater cores more difficult to replace to discourage home mechanics from doing the job, then you are way off. Remember, a large chunk of what we do at the dealer is warranty work, which is paid for by the maker. Warranty costs are in the billions so making a car more time intensive to service would be against their best interest.

In my opinion the manufacturers care about manufacturing costs, warranty costs, and moving a lot of cars. The daily troubles of a dealership mechanic like me or a do it yourselfer do not enter into their thoughts.