Old 01-05-16, 05:36 AM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert P
Hanes/Fruit of the Loom type boxer briefs were a moderate improvement over briefs due to seam issues but I'm still having comfort issues. I've tried a couple of different gel seats which have a fair amount of padding so I don't think the seat is the problem. I think the underwear material/weave itself is an issue - i.e. I think it's a bit coarse and irritating the main contact points particularly given my mass - 6'4" and over 250 lbs. My riding is generally less than 5 miles at a time so it seems padded shorts might be inconvenient overkill - don't want to have to change out of them after a relatively short ride to the gym etc. if I can avoid it.

Any suggestions for a type/brand of underwear that you think would do the trick?

Thanks.
Ditch the gel seat. It is a big mistake to associate the amount of padding with the comfort of the saddle. In fact, an overly padded saddle can lead to chaffing, numbness in places you don't want to be numb, and saddle sores. Far more important to comfort are proper bike fit and the proper size and design of saddle FOR YOU. Saddles come in different widths to accommodate different width pelvic bones. The ischial tuberosities aka sit bones should be properly supported with just a bit of padding. Excessive padding, or poor design leads to the pressure that should be on your sit bones being redistributed to the soft tissues compressing nerves and/or blood vessels as well as risking tissue breakdown. If you are sore anywhere other than in a pair of circles under your sit bones, you have a saddle fit problem. Where the saddle is in relation to the rest of the bike is also a big part of the equation. You need proper saddle height and fore/aft positioning in relationship to the crankset. If the handlebars are too far, too close,too high or too low make changes to the stem length, angle or stack height, not the seat position.

Different saddles work for different people. Sometimes it takes a few tries to find the right one for you. Some LBSs have a program where you can try a saddle for a short time before committing to purchase. You can take suggestions from friends, your LBS, and other knowledgeable sources but realize that just because a saddle works for someone else, is the most popular or the most expensive doesn't mean it will work for you. I'm 5' 11" and 230# and found that the Specialized Avatar works best for me. Actually the previous version of the Avatar was the best but the current one is still quite good. It isn't the most popular model and is mid-priced but this is one that works well for me.

As far as underwear for casual riding, I like the athletic trunk style shorts. They come in wicking tech fabrics with flatlock seams. Some have better seam placement than others but the flatlock seams haven't ever caused me discomfort. You can get them in different leg lengths to suit personal preference, thigh length, and your choice of outer clothing. You are absolutely correct that you do not have to wear cycling specific shorts for commuting or casual riding as long as you make good choices in underwear and outer garments. I'm not knocking cycling specific clothing and have several pairs of shorts and bibs that I wear often. I'm just pointing out that it is perfectly possible for the OP to wear non-cycling clothing for the type of riding he describes.