Old 01-05-16, 05:00 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Jumping in late and I just skimmed the posts......
4. Elitism aside, I think there is some practical benefit in being able to recognize whether or not someone belongs to an abstract social group of which I perceive myself to be a member. I like to ride bikes for fun, exercise and athletic challenge. While I recognize that the sort of person I see riding a craigslist beater to the store wearing blue jeans and a flannel jacket is by any reasonable definition a cyclist, I also recognize that this is probably not a person who is going to share my enthusiasm for the aspects of cycling that I enjoy. If I express the opinion that this person is likely not part of my social group, that is a conclusion based on experience and observation and is not in any way meant as a judgement of that person and his/her use of a bicycle.
It seems like you're judging the guy to not be enthusiastic about riding for fun, exercise and athletic challenge. Maybe peer pressure would prevent a cyclist from riding a beater to the store while wearing blue jeans, but I can't think of any other reason not to do that, even someone who shares your enthusiasms.

I'm just wondering if it came across differently than you meant it, since this part contrasts so much with your first three points, which I felt were very thoughtful.