Old 01-06-16, 08:00 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
15 kph is 9.32057 mph. The speed limit on MUPs is generally 15 mph around here, not that anyone actually follows it…My rule is ride safely, regardless of the law.
I’m not writing the law here. It was conceptual taking into consideration the consideration of others which is so lacking these days. Lack of consideration is how the bicycle movement got a lot of bicycle infrastructure. Lack of consideration is how a lot of North American cities now have by-laws restricting smoking in the workplace and other public places.

You can nitpick about 15km/hr, 15mph or whatever speed you choose, but let’s have one that keep pedestrians on MUPs feeling ok with cyclists. Just because MUPs are multi-use doesn’t mean motorists can drive on them either. Riding 15km/hr on a MUP is in no-way like driving 20mph in traffic. If you definitely have to ride at 24mph or 40km/hr, then do that in traffic. Just because you can doesn’t necessarily mean you should. How do traffic collisions happen anyways?

So if e-bikes are to use MUPs, I have no problem. But let’s take into consideration the safety and enjoyment of others on those same MUPs who may not have the same level of risk tolerance you have.