Old 01-06-16, 08:38 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by phytovictus

Here is the route
If you plan to use Google Maps I would suggest you to use the auto routes "avoid highways" option instead of the above "Cycling" option. Mileage is slightly reduced from 1691 to 1610. If you choose the cycling option you will spend hours a day trying to follow all the complex twists and turns that Google comes up with and you will never achieve your 100+ daily mileage goal. You will spend lots of time backtracking and scratching your head thinking "Which turn did they mean? Uh... that road was gravel!"

On just a two week trip from NH to VA, Google Cycling suggestions took me along a gravel "Meadow Road" in NH, over a steep jeep road "short cut" in VT, over a mountain in NY to avoid a short stretch of an easy shouldered highway and it dead ended me on a residential park bike path in MD. All good options if one was out to wander and explore but not if you are trying to knock off 100 miles a day.

ACA has maps from NY to IA that wind around as much as as Google, but each twist and turn is well mapped out along with a written cue sheet. You may be better of with printed state highway maps to keep you on a straight line on shouldered highways and off the dirt to do that kind of mileage and to make sure you pass through towns big enough for re-supply.

Last edited by BobG; 01-06-16 at 08:47 AM.