Old 01-06-16, 01:43 PM
cruiserhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by InTheRain
I'm not sure why you would single out e-bikes. There are way more people riding non e-bikes, walking, jogging/running, dog-walking, riding skateboards, and rollerskating on MUP's that are doing so unsafely than those on e-bikes. Based on percentages that I have seen on the MUP that I use... e-bikes would be the last users you would worry about. In fact, In 8 years of commuting on the MUP I have only seen an e-bike other than mine, one time - and it was being operated safely.

I think there is a huge misconception out there about e-bike riders. Most people seem to believe that the e-bike is the first bicycle ever ridden by an e-biker. I'm pretty sure that nearly every e-bike rider has ridden a regular bicycle before he/she ever climbed on an e-bike. Not only that, most e-bike riders have probably been riding regular bikes for a long, long time. Before I ever climbed on an e-bike I had already been riding a touring bike and road bike 5000+ miles every year for the prior seven years. I continue to ride my road bike for several thousand miles every year even though I commute on my e-bike. So, I'm well aware of bicycle etiquette and safety on an MUP. I'd dare say that I use my commuting MUP more than 95 percent of the people that use it during the year. So really, when I'm on the MUP... believe me - it's me tolerating the risky and unsafe behavior displayed by the other types of users... not those on an e-bike.
exactly.
ebikes are great for cycling. They bring in new riders and advocates for cycling transportation and infrastructure. Ebikes are an important development for commuting and daily workhorse transportation, as well as for recreation.
Many people don't want to see bikes for recreation, just as many don't see cars for sport. They are a vehicular tool for transportation.
ebikes open up the cycling world for many who would otherwise not ride bikes.

And I totally agree, the MUP drama is completely fabricated. Never have I seen a problem with ebikes on the mups. never.