View Single Post
Old 01-06-16, 10:25 PM
PatrickZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adventurepdx
Slightly on a tangent, but this bike reminds me of what a good ol' three speed can be, for good reason.

I came across a Novara Transfer in the wild today. For those of you outside of the US, Novara is the house bike/bike accessory brand of REI, our big outdoor co-op chain, analogous to MEC in Canada. I really liked this bike as it was a fully loaded (as sold) commuter: Nexus 7 speed internally geared hub, Novatech dynamo hub with AXA/Basta head and tail lamps, chainguard, rear rack, fenders, and a chromoly frame and fork. All for about $700. But because it's too damn practical, of course REI discontinued it. Now they have nothing similar.

It's one of the few modern bikes that I've seen that are similar to a Raleigh Superbe in all its features, and adjusting for inflation, it's probably about as much as a Superbe cost back in the day. When they were discounting the remaining Transfers a couple years ago, I almost thought about grabbing one, but didn't have the available cash.
Novara Transfer Bike - 2013 - REI.com
My co-worker has commuted on one for the past several years, and he likes it. That said, his is easily as heavy - if not heavier - than a classic Raleigh Superbe. After riding his, I still much preferred my Raleigh Sprite with the S5 hub.