View Single Post
Old 01-08-16, 07:32 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked 1,094 Times in 648 Posts
Both wheels will get new tires and tubs and rim strips. If I ever get crazy enough to go all original at least I will have wheel consumables taken care of. Right now I want to make back home uninterrupted!

Just took the back wheel off now, tight nuts! Never been off since it left the factory. Tire in decent shape and too the rim strip but the tube had a Definately hole in it. Caused by a spoke poking through. Quite a few of the spokes will need to be filed down to make myself feel safe on a long trip with this wheel.

I must say, another thing that leads me to believe this Raleigh never got any road miles is how clean the underside of both fenders are. A simple wipe and the paint shines! I will put a coat of wax on the underside as well before I reinstall the wheels.

While the back is out I switched the old 18T cog for the 20. Easy peasy. Should be fine for the coast. I also plan on greasing the bearings on the left side rear hub and regressing the front hub as well. I do intend to continue adding oil to the front just as well.

Hope the weather brightens tomorrow so pics can be taken. I may be working in the sun room but it's dark.