Old 01-09-16, 06:50 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
carbs out or sugar out? GI index matters, yea?

For me, im not sure it does very much, or at least as much as they want you to believe. Or may it varies from person to person..

Sometimes I can eat something and my sugar will spike, other times it wont for the same food. It can be a tricky balance of knowing when to eat what.

I used to eat oatmeal for breakfast (not that instant crap) and would be fine all day with my sugar. Then one day its like a switch was flipped and the same oatmeal I ate will now spike my sugar after an hour or so. And this is with nothing sweet added to it.

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Facebook folks will have seen this.

My A1C (blood sugar bound to hemoglobin, apparently) was 6.5%, i.e. diabetic. Glucose was 89, super high normal (90 is the cut off). I definitely fasted before the test.

Combined it indicates I'm pre-diabetic and headed in the diabetes direction if I don't do something.
So now carbs are out. Proteins and fats are in.

I still have to learn about this whole thing. I don't want to become diabetic.
It took me a while to adapt to it, but I can now have minimal carbs for breakfast (how much is in plain coffee creamer) and be fine for 4-5 hours..mostly just protein and fat. Protein will leave you feeling fuller longer than carbs will.

Maybe they changed it, but I always thought a fasted glucose reading of under 100 was considered "normal" for non diabetics.

Hopefully you can reverse it and not have to go down that path. Yes, it sucks..but once you adapt to the diet it really isn't too difficult (but ive also been diabetic for 15 years and was diagnosed at a young age, so obviously ymmv in this case...)

My last a1c was 7.1, and ive seen it as high as 9. Im trying to get into the 6.xx range.