Old 01-10-16, 08:57 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by scatterbunn
I am trying to plan my organized rides for 2016. Last year i only rode in my current home state of Texas, but this year I am starting with a goal of eventually riding an organized event in the lower 48/ all 50 states. It will definately take me several years to accomplish. I am looking for suggestions either for the best events or websites for each state. I am not intrested in races, (my current average speed is 13mph). I have looked in the regional forums, but havent seen what i'm looking for. any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Originally Posted by bgraham111
For Michigan, The League of Michigan Bicyclists is the place to go for a list of rides. I wish every state had something so well put together.

League of Michigan Bicyclists Home Page
Thanks for that Michigan link. I cut my teeth on a cycling lifestyle in Southeast Michigan in the 1970’s and it’s good to see how interest has grown, and to see some of the rides from back then still going, e.g. DALMAC.

For seven years now, there have been some informal Annual Rides by subscribers to the Fifty-Plus Forum held in conjunction with organized rides. We usually look for an organized ride on a Saturday, to make it a weekend event, with various lengths to accommodate all participants. You can go to this post for descriptions of the rides. Three times we’ve gone to the OneHelluvaRide in Chelsea, MI.

At the beginning of each of the threads listed, there is a flurry of suggestions for rides all over the country.

(BTW, I’ll drop a suggestion here for an event in Boston in September, “The Hub on Wheels”:

Boston Bikes

"Join us in 2016 to bike through a car-free Storrow Drive, explore historic neighborhoods, and take in views of the Boston Harbor with thousands of other cyclists. The ride starts and finishes on City Hall Plaza in downtown Boston, with three different routes to choose from.

"The Hub on Wheels city-wide bike ride is fully supported and safe, with three routes that provide 10, 30, or 50 miles of harbor views and hidden pathways, river greenways and Boston’s wonderful and eclectic neighborhoods. Storrow Drive is completely car-free, as is the entire 10-mile route.

"You haven’t seen the Hub until you’ve seen it on two wheels!"
)

Other than the above, you could check various local cycling clubs; in Metro Boston, the main one is the Charles River Wheelmen, and the North Shore cyclists are pretty active.

PS: I forgot to mention, in case you are unaware, there is a Regional Ride Forum under Community Connections on Bike Forums.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-10-16 at 09:57 PM. Reason: added PS