View Single Post
Old 01-11-16, 05:51 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,482 Times in 1,838 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Ha, ha. Everything you have lightened I don't even include in the bike weight. I just weigh bikes in showroom condition, no pedals, bottles, cages, computers or computer mounts.
This cracks me up. If you cannot ride it, it is not a bike, it is a collection of bike parts or a work in progress.

I realize this is the standard, but to me it is a ridiculous standard, done only to publish the lowest possible numbers, even if they don't really relate to bikes but only to PR.

When my scale arrives, I will weigh my bikes in ready-to-ride condition, including seat bags and bottle racks.

I realize that people often replace pedals, use different bottle racks, use different or no computers ... but shoot, why not weigh them without wheels? People often swap wheels. Saddles are one of the first things people change, so why weigh them? I could easily have a 14 lb. bike if I only weighed 14 pounds worth of parts.

When I finally do my Chinese exploding bike, I am hoping for 17-18 pounds---ready to roll down the road. That would be a pretty good build, for me. if I decide to splurge, maybe I could shave a couple pounds ... but weight still includes a seat bag and a multi-tool and tube and mini-pump.

I also hope to lose another several pounds of body weight in the next several months, so maybe the purists will not castigate me for building a light bike as a fat guy.

Bah ... I will still be fat, just less fat. I cannot win.