View Single Post
Old 01-12-16, 09:54 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldpaint
A few pages back BF member dim asked the question "if you could only have one three speed, which would it be?" Although there are many that I would like to have, this 1965 bronze green 23 inch Sports is at the top of my list. This is mostly due to nostalgia(I owned one as a youngster), but I also am partial to the details on this series of Raleighs. After I decided this was what I wanted, it took about 5 years before I found one for sale. It was sold out of the original owners estate, and it looked like it had been in storage for many years. This looks like a fairly well ridden bike, but well cared for and not to banged up. The pump and D bag were in place when I bought it. The complete rebuild only required new bearings, new tires, and a pair of original equipment Dunlop tubes that were salvaged from a parts bike, along with a lot of cleaning and polishing. It is a comfortable and nearly silent riding bicycle. There must be many of these 1965s in existence, but they are rarely seen on the internet, either for sale or for show and tell. If you have one, I would love to see your pictures.

I think that British Green is my favourite bike colour, followed by black.