Old 01-14-16, 12:05 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 2,491 Times in 1,463 Posts
Upper body workout last night that continues to feature shoulder / neck rehab. Although, the should pain is in the rearview mirror, the cause is troublesome. Keeping in mind that no one really knows why shoulders, necks and backs start to hurt, cycling does not do us any favors. I am focusing on moving my shoulders back and into their sockets while strengthening the rotator cuff and the muscle that squeezes the shoulder blades together while moving my chin in and neck more vertical. A lot of the work is stretching and isolation exercises.

For example, I have done lateral raises for tens of years using dumbbells. However the move the way I do it uses a lot of trap muscle. So I have to isolate the trap and rotator cuff and only work the rotator cuff. That means stupid light weights and a lot of concentration. This is hard to believe but lifting one pound with total rotator cuff isolation was hard. Now I am up to 5 pounds - wow. However, my PT told me that 6 pounds is excellent for a rotator cuff. They are not a large muscle but for me amazingly important for shoulder health.

I think de-emphasizing the trap and getting the rotator cuff back in the game while stretching my neck has really helped my shoulder and neck pain.