Old 01-14-16, 02:37 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Perp
This summer, I'm planing to to to Europe for vacation with my bike! I'd want to ride up some nice mountain passes, but needs some recommendations on where to stay / go.

Here's a list of cities we're looking into:

Italy:
Milano
Venezia
Bologne
Florenza

France:
Lyon
Avignon
I don't know your Europe experience, but basically you don't want to be riding in town so much in your two countries. Find a place out of town.
I'd look east/near Lyon. Base of the Alps. Ride/drive to Annecy. My son raced there in July (he made 3 trips to Europe last year) and said it was the best of any so far. I've not been to the city of Lyon other than driving through, but have been to Annecy and the area. We stayed outside Avignon and it is not the Alps kinda place. French country roads are all great.

We were in Italy last year (my daughter lived in Rome a year) in Tuscany and while beautiful, roads can be narrow - all of Europe, but more there. Milano is pretty big. If you are aiming for Dolomites then good choice. My daughter was there and said very industrial. Milan is a good flight hub. Florence the city is also too big. It is a great visit from the the Tuscan region. There is plenty of climbing without being in the mountains.

This was New Years 2015 (1 year ago). Sorry about the family vacation parts.
https://vimeo.com/115588532

Last edited by Doge; 01-14-16 at 05:42 PM.