queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by gtrob
I know a few people that just like to just go fast for little work, like the VIP session Carl mentions. I don't really get it, from an endurance point of view, of going 50kmh but at 200w. Yes you get to feel the speed, but its at a pretty relaxed effort. There is value in going faster than you can go on your own, but I think there is more value in trying to hold it yourself once you are there. I realize we are getting a lot deeper than 'what gear should I use' lol.
Yeah. Steady state efforts might be good for people who basically want a controlled way to get their heartrate up, but motorpacing as a racing tool should be ****ing grueling.

I think it's important to go fast. Hard. So fast that you're at or above your threshold and you have to figure out how to meter your efforts with microbursts (above threshold) and microrests, and you feel every instance of gaining or losing tiny amounts of shelter behind the motor. I think it's important to go so fast that you're afraid you won't get to the end of your interval. I think it's important to get wound up to such a high speed until the motor finally pulls away from you.

And it's important to do this over and over until you are a babbling idiot at the end of the workout who can barely figure out how to order a burrito when you walk in the joint down the street.