Old 01-15-16, 03:05 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
@TimothyH; @3speedslow; @due route; @daf1009; @thumpism; you guys all commented on this with some level of interest so I'm following up.

The similarity of styling/lugs/fork crown to the Bobet I picked up last week is uncanny, to the point I'd swear it was made by the same people & same parts. Either that or this actually is a Bobet re-branded as a Libertas. It's missing the head tube decal, it could theoretically be anything, although this color is typical of Libertas, not Bobet.

Bike is slightly damaged, ripple in the ST at the FD and just above it and a 2.5" x 1.5" rust patch under the BB where the serial would be. Not sure I'll be able to pull any numbers off the bike if that's where they'd be. Forged Huret dropouts, chrome socks, apparently the original blue paint, but missing all decals except the Reynolds-looking Libertas fork decal and the Reynolds 531 DT decal. There's a couple other stickers or remnants but nothing visible on them yet.

I'm guessing this is a mid-70s Libertas Competition and not one of the better Champion or Super Champion. Limited info on the internets makes it tough to say for sure. It's got a hardcore mish-mash of parts on it, so no idea what's original and what's not. Here's the parts breakdown:
  • 3speedslow: I got the shift rubbers right (Campy), you got the levers right (Suntour Power) and nobody would've guessed the Raleigh clamp holding them on
  • Suntour V GT Lux RD, Compe V FD (no date code yet)
  • Nervar Star crank w/KKT quill pedals, unknown cups
  • Shimano high flange hubs, date code AJ, Atom QR skewers
  • Mavic 700C rims, look like Montlereys, with date code 0474 or 7404 (going from memory)
  • Dia Compe levers, CLB hoods, Universal CP calipers
  • Birmalux seatpost w/Avocet Touring WI saddle
  • SR Stem, unknown randonneur bars, cloth wrapped
  • Bar mount bottle holder in very restorable shape (only light rust)
  • Pletscher model C rack
  • Raleigh seat binder bolt
  • Custom zip-tie TT clamps

I bought at asking price because half a dozen others called on the bike (high interest = asking price or move on). It's got asking price in parts either way. I won't know more until I have time to tear it down and inspect the ST damage and figure out whether the BB shell rust got into the ST lug seam.

Last edited by francophile; 01-15-16 at 03:19 PM.