Old 01-15-16, 03:31 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18443 Post(s)
Liked 4,551 Times in 3,382 Posts
Originally Posted by RcktMan77
The second scenario I'm unsure about is what to do when I want to turn left. I'm on the right-most side of the right-most lane, and I need to somehow manage to get over two or more lanes while signaling to drivers my intent to do so--and hope they understand my intent. How do you best approach this situation? Where in the left turn lane should I be?
Originally Posted by fietsbob
one approach (left hand drive countries) go all the way across the cross street to the far right side of It .
stop.. wait for the light to change, then go , on the right side of that street.
Did people mention signalling. At least around here, drivers will give me some space when I stick my left arm out for the intention to cross. In fact, I don't use a mirror, so cars often will slow down when they see me looking behind myself a dozen times with a worried look on my face.

I only signal when I'm actually ready to make my move across traffic.

PLAN AHEAD.

At times in heavy traffic, I will do the square crossing as fietsbob suggests.

If it is a 2-way street with a turn lane, I'll often start trying to cross (SIGNALLING) a block or so ahead and move into the the left lane, and into the turn lane. Usually "taking the lane", or positioning myself in the middle of the turn lane. Lane position and how you approach the turn will also depend on whether you wish to end up on the right side or left side of the road once around the corner. I don't cut corners, moving left, when I expect to end up on the right.

On a one-way road, sometimes I'll move over to the left side of the road, and hug the left shoulder before turning, just as I would do on the right.

I have a 2-lane one-way road with a left exit that I regularly hit. If I do it right, I'll be on the left side of the left lane, and usually can get into the right side of the exit lane (that lane has a stop light 100 feet ahead).

At times, I'll just see too many cars behind me, and can't safely get across. In those cases, I just pull off the road to the right and wait for the pulse of traffic to pass, then proceed across the road. My safety is worth an extra 30 seconds of waiting for the traffic to clear.

Consider your speed, as well as car's speed and reaction times. If I'm moving at 15 MPH, and cars at 20 MPH, then I can usually cut in. If I'm moving at 10 MPH and cars at 50 MPH, then one needs a much bigger HOLE in traffic. Don't just signal 10 feet in front of a car and expect them to be able to yield.