View Single Post
Old 01-16-16, 07:34 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Perp
Where can I get info on organized rides? Didn't even think about that.

This will be my first time in Europe in general. I'm going with my brother who travels to Europe 2-3x per year, but he won't cycle with me.

I'm also not sure if I want to bring my bike or just rent one. Last time I traveled, I rented a bike but missed having my power meter.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm really excited to do my trip!
Well, Googling "cycle tour Europe" is one place to start.
Of course organized cycling tours typically last several days, so if that's what you'd like to do, depending on how long you intend to stay there, it may not mesh well with traveling with your brother.
If this really is a shared vacation and you want to play it by ear, try searching for a specific place to make your "base of operations" first. Take a look at a map. If you want to mix in some urban/cultural experience, decide on one or two cities you'd REALLY like to visit, then consider the surrounding geography. Find a SMALL town about an hour or two away from the city/cities of interest, in the direction of the most interesting geography, but no closer to any major cities. Look for hotels/inns in or near that small town. A "resort," more or less modest depending on your budget, can be ideal.
I didn't pick this one - the tour organizer did - but here's an example: our base of operations was in Borso del Grappa, which is about 80km north of Venice. The hotel had a good restaurant, catered to outdoorsy, active travelers, and was located adjacent to a parasailing landing field. Garden Relais - Le attività Being at the foot of the Dolomites meant that, depending on which way you headed, you had your choice of scenery and could ride through mountains, hills or lightly rolling plains. Belluno, Trento, Vicenza, Padova and Verona were all within as easy distance as Venice, as were innumerable other interesting towns. Bassano del Grappa, an extremely charming town, was just a few minutes' bike ride away, as were Asolo, Maser, Marostica....
I don't know France so well, but suspect there are similar places around Avignon and Aix (maybe Cavaillon?) that provide similar variety, relative convenience and bon marché.