Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
Excellent!

Between the REI site and Amazon, I feel I have a pretty good handle on things now and have started making notes on how to carry everything on the bike.

For a sleeping bag, I'm considering one of those zipless ones but need to investigate once I get to the store.
Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed 1.5-Season Sleeping Bag - REI.com

Right now my biggest concern is what to eat. Living off of clif bars doesn't sound that great, so I need find some good portable food...and then a way to cook it. I figure REI should be able to help with that as well.

Thanks for all your help with this. I haven't been camping in almost 10 years, and when I used to do it often in college, my packing was usually a case of beer and some brats.

before i got into the bikepacking i hadnt been camping since the boy scouts, so i know where youre coming from

just bring real food, my "treat yoself" items are avocados, coffee, and bourbon. if youre gonna cook, look for things that are simple and require you to basically just add water. i love couscous and oatmeal, anythign with a lot of flavor and sodium after a long day of riding. the best dehydrated meals brand is backpackers pantry - i highly recommend pad thai!

and like @rex615 says tortillas & PB are essential items. dont forget hotsauce either. gas station packets of this that and the other thing are great for camping

msr pocket rocket or trangia alchohol stove, cant go wrong with either

re: sierra sleeping bag - take note of the packed size, which is almost 12L in volume, thats essentially my entire seatbag. not a big deal tho if you just bungee it to a rear rack but something to keep in mind

Last edited by Mumonkan; 01-16-16 at 05:09 PM.