View Single Post
Old 01-17-16, 09:19 AM
Ron Harry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You register for a ride and only THEN find out it's a charity event? I am calling B.S. on this rant.
What I failed to see was the REQUIREMENT to collect 'x amount' just to ride. I had ridden this event in past years, and yes, I knew
it had a charity function to it. But there was never a REQUIREMENT to collect X number of dollars. Seems to me this is becoming
a trend to REQUIRE collections just to ride. Don't mind a donation...but who has the time to go out and canvas and solicit for donations [unless of course it is for a cause one really feels strongly about]. I think it is unrealistic by organizers...but riders pony
up anyway probably out of their own pocket [for the most part] to meet the minimum. Minimum's seem to be increasing too...often $200 or more. I'd prefer organizers just increasing the registration, and making donations OPTIONAL...not a requirement. At least that would be more honest IMHO. Of course, no one is twisting my arms behind my back to attend, which one of my arguments, that perhaps such events would have much larger attendance [and thusly more proceeds to the chosen charity] if these MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS for fund raising weren't installed. There's other positive enticements...jerseys, medals, trophies, maybe some good PR for one's company [that sponsored a team effort or something]. As things are, I, for one, feel 'excluded'...ie 'not welcome' ['cuz I don't have deep pockets]. Thusly...my rant.

Still...charities are for good causes...and a great reason to be on the bike. I'd just like to be able to be a part of it you see [especially in January when there aren't any other events around]. And I wonder if there aren't others who might feel at least a little of this. End of rant.