bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Maybe so, or maybe your ‘friends” (I assume they actually are friends but the post makes it unclear) really believe that what they are supporting is good, and want to ask someone they think might also feel that way, to play a part, to help out.

I don’t ask my friends for money, but will tell them about stuff I am working on, and I will ask for petition signatures and stuff. If I were riding a charity event, why wouldn’t I ask my friends? If they believed in the cause they might be glad to have a way to help that also helped a friend. if they didn’t they could just say, No.” Friends, and all, y’know?

This would be in such bad taste, and so pathetic. Is the rider so desperate for riding buddies s/he has to steal them? And how could s/he really be part of the ride while pretending to be part of the ride?

To be so desperate to be in a group ride that one would tag along with such a specific group is really sad and pathetic. There have to be LBS group rides somewhere nearby----get a life and some pride and some decency, I would tell such a person.

I do not believe the person who asked was really questioning the ethics—more likely s/he was planning to do something s/he knew was unethical, but was hoping to get some immoral support.

Exactly.

Exactly.

Exactly.

I almost never agree even a little with bakes1, but ... Exactly.

Stuff like this is why I almost never agree with bakes1. leaching along on someone’s charity ride because you could get a sleazy lawyer to defend the de jure legality of the action is really pathetic, unethical, and obnoxious.

It would be like crashing some child’s birthday party at some public park, because hey, it is a public park, and if you and your buddies want to crash that party and ruin life for a bunch of nine-year-olds, hey, it’s de jure public. But what a lame and stupid thing it would be to do.

Such a manly man ... not intimidated by a charity event. LOL for sure. How some folks’ minds do work, eh?

I participate in one charity ride each year, a race actually, where I only participate as a volunteer helper. All, one hundred percent, of the cash taken in goes to the charity after expenses, which are the expenses of actually staging the races—cops, closing roads, porta-potties, sandwiches for the volunteer corner workers (who work dawn to dusk for two days.) Everyone is a volunteer.

However, this only works because it is a once-a-year event. To try to organize many such events would need full-time staff.

And I can pretty much guarantee you, if some guy tried to weasel in, claiming “It’s a public road,” the racers would take care of the matter promptly.
You are quite the pot calling the kettle black. You and your manly man racers would take care of what?
Scary spandex vigilantes wearing suspenders lol.
I ride my bike on the road son. Other than the triathletes in training, 99% of the other cyclists on the road are accessory driven fashion weenies that are looking to take care of nothing other than their next energy gel.
It's all good but please spare me your spandex street justice after accusing me of being a tough guy

Last edited by bakes1; 01-17-16 at 10:17 AM.