View Single Post
Old 01-17-16, 10:36 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7726 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,930 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
There's a local century that ends up running through my regular cycling routes, and since I'm out quite a bit during those times a group will often catch up with me or vice versa. I'd be offended if someone suggested that I should clear off the road for their ride, but that's the last thing on a rider's mind deep into a ride. The only thing I feel a little guilty about is going up that last hill (on my way home) still relatively fresh near the riders with 80 or 100 miles already. I wouldn't drive out and jump in somewhere along their route and follow along though; that would feel classless.
This seems like an exceedingly rational adaptation and understanding.

Tell me you aren't tempted to beat some of the fast boys on that final sprint ... after you have just warmed up and they are finishing a century ride ...

I sure would be ... but I wouldn't, not because I am a good person, but because they'd embarrass me and I'd embarrass myself, and a double-dose of embarrassment would be a lot to carry for the rest of my ride.