View Single Post
Old 01-17-16, 05:00 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5954 Post(s)
Liked 2,860 Times in 1,594 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
@FBinNY is pretty much correct. Just gotta take it a little slower and choose your line. Traction on steep climbs is actually the biggest challenge with skinny tires.

Large chunky stuff tends to cut up nice tires though. I try to stay to the well groomed stuff. .
Years ago I used to run a local century ride, and as was my tradition, it had a "special" section that people could remember me by. This one was a long climb on a beautiful well paved road, followed by a steep descent on a road that had been closed and neglected for some 20-30 years. Mind you this was a bunch of guys riding high end road bikes, mostly on tubulars or 25mm tires.

The "road" was a wide goat track "paved" with loose chunks of broken pavement, gravel, loose dirt and litter. As you descended our tires would dislodge some larger chunks which would roll down past us so we could run over them a second time. The irony was that in all the years I ran that ride, nobody ever flatted in that mile.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 01-17-16 at 05:03 PM.