View Single Post
Old 01-19-16, 08:09 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Tough call. Since I started building my own wheels I've really enjoyed the process and the idea of riding on my own.

Building is an activity you do over a glass of sippin' beer. But not too much or you'll end up re-stringing half the spokes!

I've seen wheels like that at online vendors, never had reason to try them. My first reaction is that for a low price the hubs may not be quite up to traditional "Campy" standards but unless you expect to ride them 10,000 miles it may not matter. How soft are the flanges? I dunno'. The bearings will be as good as any other sealed cartridge bearings, I expect. Same thoughts say if they are machine-built they may not be as true as you could do yourself but you can always de-tension then re-tension them if it seemed necessary. Last thought is whether the new skewers will be as nice as older ones. They don't look C&V-ish but if they hold okay then it doesn't matter.

If it was me I'd build new wheels on the old hubs. You get your choice of rims and spokes and will have fun. But it will take your time. It may not save any money. Order new ones and you may have them sooner.

"Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes." - Frodo Baggins