TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
I never used a front flasher before moving to Portland, but I've found front flashers to be helpful in daylight and lower light levels where lights are for visibility rather than illumination since it helps people make you out in all the urban visual noise who would pull in front of you or right into you. I make sure whatever I'm doing with my lights is appropriate and I verify my setup by putting my eyeballs at drivers height from multiple distances.

Any bright light that flashes will have multiple modes for different circumstances. Night time flashing has much less utility than daytime flashing, but night time flash modes are more of a pulse that's not so disorienting. The yahoos I see run super bright daytime flashers that would be appropriate in bright sunlight on a highway at night.
There you have it.

My lights (magic shines or clones) only blink on super high power, so I tend to only use the blink modes at dawn or dusk when you're competing with the sun in drivers' eyes. It's just annoying at night and I really, really hate coming up on somebody with that kind of light on a bike trail. I mean c'mon!