View Single Post
Old 01-19-16, 12:03 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
It was a little too cold for my normal full finger lined cycling gloves, so I used the ski gloves I have. Those things make my hands sweat like crazy even when below freezing. The insides of them are still wet now even 3.5 hours after arriving at work. I brought my regular gloves so I can wear those on the way home and not have to worry about wet gloves. Yuck.
I've found my hands sweat inside of insulated gloves no matter how cold the temps. In fact, my hands can be painfully cold and still wet with sweat. To make matters worse, the insulation in those gloves will keep the insides wet for days. Even putting them in the dryer won't always dry them out. After a few weeks the smell can become quite noticeable, and over time the odor permeates the fabric to the point where washing them won't even remove it.

So last year I bought a box of vinyl gloves at the home improvement store. I put those on as a base layer underneath my winter gloves. One box of 100 gloves will last me most of the season. When I arrive at work my hands are soaked with sweat as normal, but the moisture is trapped inside the vinyl and the gloves stay completely dry. As a result, my most recent pair of winter gloves have lasted much, much longer than previous pairs. Even more importantly my coworkers and I no longer have to put up with the mysterious funk emanating from somewhere in the office, that eventually gets traced back to my sweaty winter gloves.

As a bonus, the gloves are handy when cleaning/lubing your chain so you don't have to wash the grease off your hands. To get double use out of a pair, I'll usually come home from work and do my chain maintenance while I'm still wearing them.