View Single Post
Old 01-20-16, 12:36 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by nstgc
Previously, when I was living in a city, 90% of all my destinations were within 15 minutes ride of my apartment. In the winter, my fingers would get a bit numb, but nothing too horrible. Now, in the boonies (literally, I'm in Boone County), there is nothing closer than 15 minutes away. Most of my rides are over 30 minutes in length. I have two pairs of gloves.

Amazon.com : Planet Bike Borealis Fall/Winter Full Finger : Cycling Gloves : Clothing

Amazon.com : Craft Siberian Split Finger Wind and Waterproof Bike Glove : Cycling Gloves : Clothing

Both are good enough so long as it's above freezing, but yesterday, for instance, it was 12F. I was quite warm just about everywhere, with the exception of my fingers. After 15 minutes I had lost feeling in fingers.

I've been considering some battery powered, electric gloves, but before I make any purchases I thought I should ask what you guys think.
Mitts work much better than gloves for keeping your hands warm in cold weather. I'd also make sure they're well insulated with thinsulate or equivalent material. If you have a store in your area that sells ski and/or ice fishing gear you'll find a lot of options. I use ski gloves a lot of the time but once it's down into the single digits or colder, I switch to mittens designed for ice fishing. Super warm.

I think this is one instance where it's better to go to a brick and mortar store. You want to make sure there's some amount of bulk to them. I'd also say that in general products made for cycling aren't designed for very cold temps. There's some exceptions.