Old 01-21-16, 08:21 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by erig007
It's not impossible i did it to mine. My snowmobile gloves were good down to about 25F mostly because of wind going through. Now they are good down to 0-5F with some modifications.
But your point is still valid pogies can do better than gloves.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing. I just think it is really difficult to find a pair of gloves with sufficient dexterity that are completely windproof but yet breathe. I'm really big into winter sports and I have - literally - about a thousand dollars (or more) invested in gloves and mittens most of which are some of the best made. I have maybe one pair that is anywhere near as good at keeping my hands warm as are pogies because of air infiltration at some level. And when they are warm enough, then dexterity usually suffers strongly.

Around here (Minnesota), 25F sort of qualifies as fall riding, it's really not winter. At that temp, it's pretty easy to stay warm but hands and feet, because they are exposed to the wind in the same aspect (never changing) still get cold. I agree that at that temp it's fairly straightforward to find a decent glove what will work about about 30 minutes or so - but will be cool but not cold. As the temp drops, the windchill factor climbs fast. So in the OP's case when it gets to 12F, that same glove is going to be quite cold if it was cool at 25F.

That's where the pogies shine. They end the wind problem and add some insulation. That means you can back way off on the gloves and be even warmer.

Again, whenever these conversations arise, I'm always amazed at what the range of "cold" is. It's really an individual and acclimatized thing.

J.