Old 01-21-16, 11:30 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Northwest - TiCycles. They've done probably every type of repair out there. Repaired the seatstay caps on my Trek that had cracked through the deeply stamped "R" in "TREK". Did both sides (after telling me over the phone before they saw the bike that the other side would have cracks started also. Pointed those out to me when I brought the bike in. More recently I brought them a 40 year old Raleigh of unknown history to have stripped, inspected, work done if necessary and repainted. Turns out I bought a "Monday/Friday bike. Very little braze under the lugs. A half days work got me solid joints throughout the bike, new seatpin ears, a derailleur hanger that works with modern derailleurs, waterbottle bosses and two cracks repaired.

They build mostly TIG welded bikes, steel and ti but also brazed steel forks regularly. I got to look at a fork with the blades cut off. (Post crash forensics.) The radius of the braze around the tube end in the crown socket looked like a machined radius, except with the matte finish of raw braze; eyes and tools had never seen this until the blade was sawed off. Beautiful work!

TiCycles is well connected with painters so that shouldn't be an issue. The work I had done cost $800. That covered the strip and powdercoat paint, a half day's labor (the hourly rate isn't cheap, but what happens in that hour is impressive) and a couple of specific charges. Give them a call. A tube replacement is pretty straightforward so they probably can quote you over the phone.

Another plus for TiCycles: They do both belt drive bikes and S&S couplers. Some of the best frame builders in the country send their almost finished custom frames to TiCycles to get couplers and belt dropouts installed rather than messing with these operations they rarely do. I see drool-worthy frames jigged up to be cut and coupled on my visits regularly. Your bike will be in very good hands.

Ben