Old 01-21-16, 03:25 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
I saved money in 2015 - even just with parking. I'm going to try reducing to 1 car for the summer this year. My commute is too far and the roads not cleared well enough (bike paths not at all) of snow for me to try year round. I switch to multi-mode in the winter - half the time drive (usually parking in a free lot a few miles a way and walking), half the time run half the distance and bus the other.
I'm fairly cheap though - I bought a super-cheap online fixie (critical cycles), panniers, and a few parts that were maybe $400 total. 50 days at $8 a day parking, and I'm in the clear, not even talking about the $5 in gas each day. I don't know if I'm going to keep the fixie, I like it, but don't need another bike. I can probably sell it for pretty close to what I paid in the spring. It wasn't really my primary commuter anyway, it's a toy. Primary commuter is an '87 bianchi (total investment $40 for bike, $80 in wheelset and $120 in tires, tubes, & bar wrap over the past 11 years)
You know, now that I think about it - I didn't save any money last year. hmmmmmm.........