View Single Post
Old 01-22-16, 05:12 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Also a very good read about training efforts and sports psychology, it's one of the book I recommend to all my athletes.

-Training should be as hard or harder than racing.

-If you spend time and effort developing an equipment and training plan for an event, you don't start changing things based on what you see others doing at that event. Stick with your plan and what you know works for you. Don't listen if your monkey says to change something because rider X is doing X. Post race is the time to asses and implement changes.

-No one is unbeatable.
I read this book upon your recommendation. Here's what I got out of it:

1. Everybody, even the mightiest cyclist, is insecure to some extent. You can gain a lot by realizing that and managing your own insecurities. (And strategically that means its pretty doable to get into someone else's head too.)
2. There are dozens of factors that contribute to success on the bike. Really successful cyclists are open to optimizing all of those factors.
3. Strong competition is a positive, it brings out good performances. Everyone should be so lucky as to have a nemesis to chase down.
4. Being smart and studying cycling is not "overthinking" it.
5. Always ride on Christmas Day. My only complaint about my training schedule is that two Christmases in a row now- no ride. I feel a little cheated.